In the past, most farmers had their own or a shared mill to mill grains for household needs. From the mid-19th century, larger mills were built and mill associations were formed.
Gammlia’s watermill was moved to the open-air museum in 1927 from Västra Ormsjö in Dorotea parish. It was probably built in the mid-1800s and last used during the crisis years of 1918–19 for the local families.
Compared to a vertical-axel stone mill, which was a more common type of watermill in Västerbotten, Gammlia’s mill is a waterwheel mill. It has a large vertical moving bucket wheel, an overshot wheel, with water supplied through a channel from a stream. A gear transfers the vertical power to the horizontal mill stone where the grain is milled into flour.